Saturday, June 19, 2010

Soapin' and Cucumber Essential Oil

It's been a soaping week. A good soaping week. And I did something I rarely do -- recycled the end bits and underweight pieces into a new batch of soap which I named 'Citrus Sugar Calico Soap' a sort of longish name that pretty much says it all about this soap.

Still dreaming up new soap combinations -- I have a full bottle of rich, nutty organic hempseed oil just hopping up and down begging to be in some soap, so maybe I'll full on hippy out on the next batch and make a citrus spiced patchouli hemp oil soap . . . just for the fun of it.

By the way, I am so loving making soaps with clays, salts and sugars these days. I know it's old hat to most soapers at this stage of their experience, and I did make quite a lot of them in the past, but for some reason now they seem new again. Maybe it's because I'm a better soap maker than I was back then, who knows? There is an ease to making soap these days.

Cucumber essential oil. The little green snake has raised it's head again. Does it exist? Some say yes, they use it, sell it and stand by it. Others say no, the skin and flesh of a cucumber carry no oils to speak of. So where does this essential oil come from? The seeds, where else? But does that make it an essential oil (the process for obtaining the oil from cucumber is through cold pressing of the seeds), or a carrier oil? According to one source, the oil is processed from dried seeds, filtered and cleaned to produce a clear yellow oil with a very mild cucumber-like essence. Used primarily for skin care (not aromatherapy), cucumber oil contains a high amount of phytosterols which are beneficial for the following:

• Anti-Aging and Wrinkle Reduction
• Acne
• Psoriasis
• Eczema
• Acne and Other Skin Conditions
• Sunburn
• Stretch Marks
• Damaged Hair
• Dry Scalp
• Brittle Nails

So while I agree an oil is produced from the cucumis sativus, it is not a true essential oil but a carrier or vegetable oil, similar to sweet almond oil, sunflower seed oil, hempseed oil and the like.

Source: Natural Sourcing Cosmeceutical

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. I'd like to try it in a cream.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails