The Apothecary Farm

The work at the farm has begun with pruning. I began the prune on the apricot trees because apparently, they bloom out in February, and they were in dire need of some thinning. Now, mind you, I've never pruned a tree in my life, so I did what every modern human with a computer does, I YouTubed the process. In two hours I pruned something like eight trees? And I'm paying for it now. My arms are sore, my hands are killing me, and they're covered in pinch marks, scratches, scrapes, and scabs. But that is to be expected. I also planted some bulbs -- late, I know -- for next year. They may surprise me and pop up in a month or so anyway -- we'll have to wait and see. If so, the enfleurage class is a go.

There are two more rows of pit fruit trees to prune before that part of the work is done. In the meantime, we'll be preparing the shop for its official opening in mid- to late-February, and the "Grand Opening" on March 12th. Some of the crew at the farm are also going to be working on a class space for the farm classes, and a workshop to concoct all the butters, balms, and salves made from the medicinals grown on the farm. Plus we'll be distilling a lot of what grows there too. Like lavender, and white sage.

In addition to the medicinal plants grown on the farm, we're also putting in vegetables. Tomatoes, peppers, carrots, beets, maybe a few parsnips as well. Basically, we're going to grow a pantry and medicine cabinet out there.

The farm finally has an official name. The Apothecary Farm. It just makes sense.

Comments

Popular Posts