School

Some of my students put me to absolute shame with their astounding description writing abilities. If I read it, and I'm there, fully immersed, smelling the soil and the water and the moss as they paint this picture with words, then I get a feeling of satisfaction -- not for myself, but for them, that they get it, they understood the assignment and took off running with it. This can all turn to disappointment if for all of their pretty words they send me a final perfume that doesn't quite meet the expectations they have set. This doesn't happen as often as it did nearly 15 years ago, but every once in a while, one will 'phone in' their last assignment due to exhaustion or overconfidence.

There is a student who is very practical, very left-brain, who every so often complained that they didn't get it, they didn't understand why they needed to know how to 'feel' the work that they do. With some encouragement, they finally got it, though still, their work was very meticulous and scientific and only slightly embellished. But they got it. The finished perfumes they submitted were where the beauty of their talent really lived -- some of the most exquisite and beautifully constructed first-time perfumes I've ever smelled. One I could compare to L'Artisan's 'Tea for Two' but with a beautifully turbulent, natural edge. And the essay they submitted with their work was just as exquisite with their realization that their right brain was well-engaged and had taken control of the work they submitted. This is also very satisfying. 

I am so proud of my students. They are the reason I get out of bed most mornings.



Comments

Popular Posts