Dissociation

Having got sick almost the moment I arrived back home from vacation makes me feel like I've been gone the whole summer. I'm a bit out of it. Today I'm expected to brave the heat and spend the afternoon poolside with a gaggle of 7-year-olds. Not sure how I will fare since I am at about 70% power. I've realized over the past couple of days that my sense of smell is greatly limited, and it's distressing. It's as if I can smell what is going on in my head (sinuses), but cannot smell what's going on around me. It's an odd feeling, like the one that rushes over you when you're being anesthetized for surgery. 

This just means a slight delay in the fall plans for goods in the shop. Solids are on the agenda, two coffretts, one for fall and one for winter. And soap. I've got a big soap commission in the works, a few kilos of post-enfleurage, post-extraction pomade that's to be made into laundry bars and shipped back to their rightful owner for resale. I actually like making custom soaps. It takes all of the guesswork out and leaves me with the fun of using new materials virtually risk-free. But nothing is going to happen today. Perhaps even tomorrow or the next day, nothing will happen. I'm just not there yet. And I've got video tutorials to prep for the new course and I'm definitely not there. 

When I post this, I'm going out to the studio to do a little olfaction work -- kick start the process of regaining my sense of smell before venturing out into the world. I think I will also do some work on the olfaction processes taught in the courses as well since I currently have a birdseye view of it all. I think the feeling I can relate to with this lack of olfactory function is 'dissociation'. I feel completely cut off from the world like I'm on the wrong side of the glass. 





Comments

  1. Hi :)

    Sorry about the damn 'rona :/

    All the best wishes. Lots of people I know have gotten caught by this new wave, and it is a gnarly beast for sure. They all recovered fully w/ smell intact (if a bit protractedly) though, so there's that.

    I've been having lots of interesting thoughts and new understandings (regarding parfum/ resins/ incensury, etc.) that I intend to share with you, prob via email, when I get around to it, at a yet-undetermined time lol. <3

    ....

    I think of myself a someone who is varying degrees of dissociated much of the time, for better or worse, and something I find really helpful for re-occupying my own self is drinking some (green) tea (w/ chia seeds) and zoning into something interesting with good music (mellow but stimulating enough) in the background... sortof helps to recapacitate, regenerate my auric field or whatever. :) <3

    History, Plants, The World, etc. ... I spend a lot of time looking at the satellite view on google maps & reading sciencey jargon on wikipedia... sortof just seeing the relation of things to each other...

    &somehow the act of learning and see-feeling how things go into context rly lights up the neurons in a way that gets me unstuck and back in calibration, esp after under/ over-stimulation, under/ over-socializing, etc. :)

    Also, Hikes---- being active in nature is the best! <3

    ....

    I know its diff when you've actually been ill and I'm not tryna be patronizing-- please feel free to roll your eyes and unappreciate lol. :)

    Anyway I hope you get some good time for yourself and can feel unpressured in your recovery.

    Never bored and always inspired by your posts,

    :) :) <3 <3,

    Dav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this "flavor" of 'rona is different and really sticks. It seems like I'm always tired, but having periodic bursts of energy where things actually get done. I realized that part of the dissociative feelings also had to do with not being on social media during the illness, and then making a pact to kind of stay off since it depresses the hell out of me anyway. I'm spending less time on SM and it seems like the creative parts of my brain are waking up. I totally understand the satellite views and reading sciency stuff. It feels productive and satisfying in a way that other internet stuff does not. Like FB and Instagram and . . . unfortunately, there will be no hiking here for a while. It's going to be super hot for the next week (today is 107), and all the nearby hiking/walking paths are new and unshaded. I'll stay inside and make something :) I would love to hear about your perfumery/resin/incense thoughts. Whenever you're ready. XO

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts