Presentation & Book Signing

Yesterday was a whirlwind. I took my time getting to the conference and as soon as I arrived I learned that I had less than 20 minutes before going on stage. I met my interpreter, Diogo, who seemed just as nervous as I was. I spent the entire morning reading through my presentation and couldn't for the life of me get it to stick, so I carried it on stage and read it. I know, not terribly professional, but the alternative was to completely forget what I intended to convey and wind up talking about how the back neighbor's dogs bark all night and day. I chalk it up to nerves and feeling more than a little bit out of my element. Plus my power point presentation wasn't translated and I forgot to grab the magic wand to change slides, so the first half of my presentation was me standing there with a big sign over my head, 'HEDONISM AND NATURAL PERFUMERY', like it was yelling the entire time. I think I was missing the pace, as well. It's not easy keeping things upbeat (especially when reading from a script) when you have to stop to let the interpreter tell the audience what was just said. No blame, just the nature of the gig. Oddly enough, by the time I actually stepped on the stage, I was fine. The nerves were all in my legs by then and I kept shuffling around because I didn't want to stand in one spot and risk locking my knees and passing out. I would call it a luke warm presentation, at best, but, hey, not bad for my first time out. Next time (yes, there will be a next time) I will do much better. And I signed books, which really felt weird. The people who bought books were so excited and happy, and there were pictures being taken -- lots and lots of pictures.

Today I'm resting, and then later I will be going to the market with some friends. Night before last a group of us met up at a restaurant for dinner, and let me tell you, Brazilians know how to live. More than anything else, I'll be taking home a bit of wisdom as souvenirs when I leave. 

I have a workshop to teach on Wednesday, then an interview with Fabian Laszlo after, then whatever, I don't know, then home the next day. 

The workshop is where I will be in my element. I'm pretty sure we're using the kits from the book (I could be wrong) and as I've already done a little sniffing, I'd say these students are in for a surprise. The oils in the kits are amazing. 

Off to the next adventure.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts