Create What Is In Your Heart

Here's something. All of my artistic life, I've created things that weren't in my heart, cases of, "I can do that too!" everywhere I looked. I can make super stinky bath bombs, and I can make body butters, and I can make bathtub melts, and I can make sugar scrubs, and I can make -- yeah, all of that, and on and on to include loads of other stuff that just distract from what my heart wants to make. Lately, the response has been that I don't want to make that. I know I can, and I'd probably be pretty decent at it, but it's not my thing, it's her/his thing, so more power to them. This is usually the time of the year of 'I can make's, when these gorgeous tins of body butter pop up on my Instagram feed, or some pretty little solid perfume in a sweet locket comes around. Prior to about a year ago, my heart would be thumping thinking I was out of the loop when these things would pop up. Oh, my god! I need to make those! Now! Everybody's doing it! So a buying rampage would begin; tins, packaging, labeling ideas, raw materials, all to soon be abandoned when I got bored. If you could see my studio, you would witness evidence of years of goods' gathering for this kind of stuff, stacks of jars and tins and weird paper and little scoops. 

But now, I'm content with staying in my own lane. I know what I love doing, and I'm going to continue doing just that. Perfume, incense, and soap. And that's it. I'm out of the skincare game.

My focus now is on doing the best at what I'm good at. I have to add that if it weren't for my exploration into other types of scenty, creamy, oily, fragrant stuff, I wouldn't have learned what I have. My advice if you're like this too is, don't buy the warehouse to start a new project. Find out if you like it first, take a class or watch some videos, then get enough stuff to make a couple of pieces, and decide then if it's something you want to continue working on. There is a lot to be said for experimentation and experience here, but I'm done talking. 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts