Good Medicine

The veil is thinning, and the mood it elicits is palpable. It has been years and years since I have costumed and gone out as my former alter-ego. There is no alter-ego any more, just me, the weird oldish lady with sigil tattoos on her arms who coddles plants and grows 'weeds' in the yard because they make good tea, good medicine, or good scents. 

The tuberose, silly cows, have actually begun to bloom, kind of in a frantic way, quickly because the season of cold came upon us early. I am finally convinced that my absence from the garden for two weeks in July is the reason it gave up the ghost in the middle of summer. When I left, it was thriving and providing daily, but when I returned, it looked half-dead, even though I was given assurances that it was watered daily and even given organic nutrients. The fact is, these people here, despite their professed expertise with holding a hose, don't know how to water. A squirt was all that they were giving deeply rooted plants that required drenching in the over 100F weather. It took almost a month after my return to get some of them back to health, but most of them never fully recovered. I lost calendula, chives, all of the 22 tomato plants, Thai basil, the summer squash, pumpkins, and nearly lost the tuberose. 

On the other hand, it spurred me to get some of the potted plants into the ground so there would be less potential for this to happen to them in the future. The elderberry is in the dirt and thriving. A sweet potato that I tossed into the potato bin decided it wanted to grow, and now there are sweet potato vines creeping over the edges of the bin and spreading out across the yard. The celery, planted in late spring, is sprouting up and growing like weeds. And the two feeble pepper plants, a bell, and a Demon are throwing late season peppers where there were none before. So it wasn't a total loss. 






Comments

  1. Yes. :) ... I am feeling the season and it is good. Intense, but ......________---....
    , "u kno?" I feel like you know, even if your version of knowing is different than whatever mine is. :)

    Been really into the whole idea of incense as this ancient, participatorily spiritual artform offering. ...

    And like, communicating with the good spirits of the land so they can help us live well as people in communities. ...

    And like, even though that concept has been sortof subsumed into syntheticulture, ...

    It still has immense relevance as something people have been doing since the very beginning to make existing less stressful-complicated so actual progress can be made, and allow for good healthy growth in cooperation with the nature of things.

    :) and yeah anyway I just really like it. Mostly just playing with how things go together right now, and having a really good time hiking in the hills and collecting resins and whatever interesting thisnthat. ... The interplay of rusticity and fanciness is really exciting for me. ...

    Not tryna do any real slow-love kyphi until I can plot out the steps in my mind and do it all ceremonial without a whole lotta manic maximalism, lol :) ,

    But I got some of that really nice golden champaca and frangipani floral wax from EOA@etsy, and it has been fun to play with making something heavily floral-pefumey and nag champa-esque via the 'Merican West with lots of pinyon pine and utah juniper resin
    + himalayan cedar, patchouli, vetiver, spikenard, cardamom serrata, santal, etc. as oils for the semi traditional Old India theme, + a bit of maximal fanciness from oakmoss abs, rose concrete, J. sambac& white magnolia, etc. ,
    + some dried basil from my garden and a few long dead , very weathered N. rustica sacred Hopi tobacco leaves (which are crazy strong even like that...) because I was feeling very witchy & bitchy about it all and wanted a sortof "mean-in-a-good-way" martial robustitude to go with the heavy balsamic decadence and venusian pervasiveness. Lol. Maybe I'll add some mullein as well.
    ... & it did turn out a bit aggressive and oakmossy, but I like it a lot, and the florality communicates really well as I continue diluting w more resins and letting it hang out with itself. Dunno whether to do any wine-soaking or try to wet&ferment. Prob will xperiment variously. ...

    Blah blah blah hahaha anyway have a nice day & thanks for being a super inspiring person while living on the ground and cuttin' thru the nonsense. No Nonsense--- Incense! lol. :) :0 :) <3 .

    Dav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I really enjoyed reading this! The passion for incense/art is evident, I love it! It makes me yearn for in-person teaching and incense listening sessions. I pulled out my stash of incense from other artists and found some delicious treasures -- a piece of agarwood, some formulated incense with loads of boswellia sacra, sandalwood, and more agarwood -- and I have been burning them for days now. Sinking deeper into the season.

      You're welcome, . . . and thank you :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts