Fakes, Again

Going through the big book of aromatic wonders, I found a little something-something that I had developed a few years ago but never got into production. I'm not saying what it is until it's up on the Etsy shop because there is a 50-50 chance that it won't manifest this year either. It's a cool little doohickey with a great name. And, of course, it will be super scented and glorious. Plus, there's soap on the not-too-distant horizon. I have pulled every bottle of frankincense oil that I have, from a luscious sandalwood-y black (Neglecta) to a smooth 20-year-old Serrata, and everything in between to create a holiday soap. 

I've recently been purchasing what I not-so-lovingly refer to as the oils of ill repute. The fakes that are being sold as real oils or absolutes. Like lily-of-the-valley recently purchased from a supplier on Etsy, someone I've never purchased from before. This oil reminds me so much of the fake mimosa that was going around a decade ago. It has many of the same scent markers, like hydroxy citronellol. I've purchased three bonafide fake lily-of-the-valley products to compare with the supposed real LOTV to prove my assertion. I do this for my students so that they don't get taken in. Beginning natural perfumers have no frame of reference for sussing out fakes. Consider it a public service. Nothing pisses me off more than someone selling fakes as real and getting away with it. Hell hath no fury like a natural perfumer duped by an unscrupulous supplier. 

All of the changes happening at the truly new and improved Natural Perfume Academy are mind-boggling. During the lockdown months, our platform, Moodle, created loads of new templates and functions that we are taking full advantage of. Plus, since the breach, new content has been added, as well as a full rewriting of most, if not all, of the older content to create a new, updated course. These things need doing every so often. I think the last big update happened in 2017. These new updates are spectacular. 



Comments

Popular Posts