Smelly Smells that Smell

I was digging through my treasure boxes, the boxes with the little bits and snips of aromatic rarities, and I ran across a wee bottle of massoia bark CO2. First off, massoia oil is prohibited for use in fragrance by the IFRA because of its dermal toxicity, having stated that, many natural perfumers still use massoia oil in their perfumes. Oddly enough, you can eat this stuff up to 10.0000 ppm in a 'finished product' -- massoia cookies anyone?

Massoia CO2 is a glorious smelling oil -- smells of butter and coconuts and creamy vanilla and I completely understand why a natural perfumer would want to use it in a natural perfume, despite the warnings. Years ago I tinctured dried unsweetened coconut to try and capture that lovely buttery coconutty scent with some success. The scent was fleeting and left me wanting more. Again, I see why a natural perfumer would turn to massoia as an alternative. There are coconut options out there -- a coconut absolute that's hard to find, and a coconut pulp CO2 that's more like a nut oil than an essential oil. Both have short scent life spans, though.

Massoia could be used in incense I think, to give a tropical lift to a floral based incense. It's definitely a material worth figuring out.


Comments

Popular Posts