Magic Wands

I've been experimenting with the bourbon oakwood barrel tincture extract (I never know how to write this out - 'bourbon barrel oakwood', 'oakwood bourbon barrel', so I'm just going to call it Bob) by adding it to a few of the trial perfumes I'm working out as an exalting modifier rather than as a straight scent and I have discovered, to my absolute joy, that it is another magic wand. If it's used like fairy dust, just a sprinkle, it ennobles the perfume, as if it had taken a big, deep breath and slowly exhaled everything in the perfume; if used like icing, drizzled over the top and allowed to drip down, it exalts AND adds a deep, warm, and overall sweet tone to the perfume, like a warm, cozy blanket on a cold morning, but never, in any way does it smell like itself in the perfumes that I have been working on. It is like a well-diluted green cognac essential oil, exalting, elevating, enhancing -- adding a bit of sparkle and shine to a piece without actually smelling like cognac. The Bob extract does something similar but it is dark and sweet and warm instead of tart and fruity and airy. I've also been working with Siberian rhododendron in dilution and I'm falling in love with it. It, too, is a magic wand. It blends so well into a formulation that it is not recognized as itself, but instead, it displays this breathy, fruity freshness that acts as an intro note that slowly fades into the body of the perfume. If used less dilute, it's like tart raspberry jelly. 

Discovering and rediscovering the 'magic wands' of natural perfumery has been a luxurious task of late. An enlightening diversion from the overly real realness of current life.



Comments

  1. How gorgeous is Siberian Rhododendron! That berry note is stunning. I'm still finding my way around this aromatic, but I can see it's going to be fun!

    Speaking of oakwood, I wonder if your tincture smells at all like oakwood c02? It's boozy and oozy, warm, wood and smoke, sweet. I'm still learning that one too, but gosh it is delish.

    Funny story, I was at a winery last week, sampling wines at their cellar door. I sampled their fortified tawny wine and as I stuck my nose in that glass, to my absolute delight my first impression was Oakwood. This tawny's smell was very distinctly of my Oakwood CO2. I was so excited, tried to explain myself to the lovely lady serving me. She noted that this wine had been aged in a French oakwood cask and yes the aroma and flavour definitely come through. Needless to say a bottle (or growler I think they call them, a glass flask of sorts) made its way home with me. 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siberian rhododendron is so surprising. I love it!

      No, Bob doesn't smell like oakwood CO2. It smells like caramelized whiskey, and creates that warm buzz in your nose that whiskey creates in your throat after a sip. It's really quite remarkable.

      Mmmm, growlers. Yes. Used to pick up growlers of pear cider from the local brew pub. I think I still have one around that is being used to collect coins. It's funny how much our perfumery materials inform our experiences.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts