Sunday, May 18, 2014

Distilling (not distilling), New Perfume

My 'new' vintage scientific hot plate isn't working like it's supposed to. I was so excited to get started distilling again, spending the week from order date to date of receipt of the hot plate in distillation contemplation. I bought seaweed and carefully chopped it up and soaked it in distilled water to prepare it, set up the new glass unit, and then ... nothing. The hot plate doesn't regulate its heat properly. I tried to calibrate it because there are no numbers or temperature settings on it, and it was all over the place. I set the knob where I felt was the halfway point between 'off' and the 'lava beds of hell', and I got readings from 150 F to 450 F and everywhere in between.

I guess I just bought myself a very ugly electric incense heater.

It's been a few days since the launch (and I say that tongue in cheek) of my latest perfume creation, Modhlim. It is touted as a dark floral, but as it progresses -- or maybe because of hormones or seasonal allergies or something -- I'm getting big hits of tulsi in the opening. It's nice. Sparkly. It's got loads of jasmin sambac, a material I love using but don't use to this extent. This perfume is lovely now, but I think in a year or so it will be absolutely stunningly fabulous.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails