Ghosting Opportunity

Fear of success.

It's a thing. The symptoms include self-sabotage, ghosting rock-solid opportunities, creating mediocrity in our work, all in an attempt to get the attention off of us because we feel we don't deserve it.


"Many of us have been conditioned to believe that the road to success involves risks such as "getting one's hopes up" - which threatens to lead to disappointment. And many of us-especially if we've been subject to verbal abuse-have been told we were losers our whole lives, in one way or another. We have internalized that feedback and feel that we don't deserve success. Even those of us who were not abused or otherwise traumatized often associate success with uncomfortable things such as competition and its evil twin, envy."
Susanne Babbel Ph.D., M.F.T.


Hell of a thing, innit? Doesn't have to be. 




Comments

  1. Kimberly8:28 PM

    I can't tell you how many times that I have either thought about this post, or come back to it to read it over and over again. Knowing that it is a perfect description of myself sets the lunatics in the asylum of my brain off laughing and pointing fingers at me while they chant "told you so". Every single year at this time I tell myself this will be the year I get it together. Am really, really going to try to get out from under the looming shadow and make that a reality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just have to gather your wits and take the leap. You have what it takes. I've been thinking about you a lot this new year. Ruth and I are ready for your brand of information. It's an opportunity, babe. Don't pass it up. XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts