Adulteration

A couple of updates, then onto the meat of the matter ~

Creating the Breath of the Gods, A Kyphi Scent Event is scheduled for April 18, 2020, in El Cerrito, CA. Tickets are available through Eventbrite on my Facebook events page here.


The 25% off sale is still going on at The Scented Djinn @ Etsy shop. All items in the shop are 25% off until February 29, 2020 -- a leap year sale! Stock up on your favorites or try something new. Once they're gone, they most likely will never see the light of day again.


Something has really been bothering me the last few months -- something that kind of knocked me down after hitting my stride after a long, unintentional hiatus. Adulteration. I know that this has been hashed out time and again, and there are articles and blog posts and announcements all over the internet publicizing the dangers of natural perfumers getting sucked into this vortex of lies. As a natural perfume teacher, it strikes me much harder when a trusted student sends a sample of their work and it clearly contains adulterated material. In these cases, I let the student know their work has been compromised due to some shady sales pitch by one of their suppliers. I never accuse my students of cheating because I don't have proof they have. If you don't know that linden blossom absolute or boronia absolute you got for a steal from some slick website claiming all-natural isn't natural, then you don't know.

Some rattling of cages is in order. A few lawyers need to get involved. Terminology needs to be examined. The companies who are making these claims of 'all-natural' are huge, they have millions of dollars backing them, and a hell of a lot more clout in the industry than the natural perfume community has combined. Something needs to be done before they erase the hard work natural perfumers have been doing over the years and no one new in the business will know what real, natural raw materials are.


Comments

Popular Posts