The Real Work of Natural Perfumery

Well, I've done it. Finally got all of the perfumery goods sorted and categorized and occupying the proper place in the studio. In doing so, I've wrecked the studio again -- hahahahaha! There is a HUGE shortage of useable storage in there, no matter how many bins, boxes, cupboards, or shelves I add to the mix. There is just too darned much stuff and too little space. Organization is not my strong suit, but it is absolutely necessary to get out of this creative rut. I must have trekked out to the studio four times last evening, excited to work on a new project, but was stopped dead in my tracks by the heaping mount of yet-to-be-put-away goods piled up on the workstation table. Yes, I am suffering from guppy-brain of late, I keep forgetting the mess from the previous three times I tried.

What I noticed was loads of bottles of dregs of completed compositions that I've never put back up for sale. So I think I'm going to pour what is left into wee sample bottles and toss them into Etsy orders just to free up the space of huge bottles with less than an ounce of finished perfume inside, and save at least one sample bottle for the library of finished work. I haven't been doing that as I was earlier in my perfuming vocation, so there are a lot of perfumes that are lost and gone forever (except the formulation has been written down . . . somewhere.) Lylli Bleu is one I wish I'd kept at least an ounce of. It. Was. Stunning. Some of my best work. Which reminds me, I do so miss those blog-run competitions for natural perfumers. 

The next Natural Perfume Academy course is starting in a week, June 21, Summer Solstice, a day of great beginnings.

The course isn't the same one offered even a year ago as I have added so much more content, more exercises, and more insights. We are holding back nothing. We're adding huge sections to the course relating to sustainable practices, specified olfactory training (in addition to what we've already established with our Conscious Smelling Activities), loads of video training, and face-to-face meetings via Zoom, as well as adding a workshop section for advanced work. We want well-trained, well-rounded, informed and spectacular natural perfumers graduating from our courses. 

Heading back out to the studio to get that workstation cleared off and get some work done -- the real work of natural perfumery. 




Comments

Popular Posts