Faux pas . . .or showin' mah butt!

I'm not perfect. I don't even pretend to be. So when I make a blunder, like mixing up famous perfume houses' names, calling Youth Dew Amber Nude a product of Elizabeth Arden, as well as calling it 'Naked Amber', then I think I'd like someone to kindly point out my mistake. Kindly, if you please.

I don't know famous perfumes. I know Chanel (No's 5 & 19 ~ never smelled 22, or anything else from this house), I know Guerlain (Shalimar, Mitsouko, Samsara, Champs-Elysees, jardins de bagatelle ~ and only because I have a miniature gift box), I know DKNY, Mix by Arrogance, Amarige Mariage. I know Lolita Lempicka and we don't get along. I know Moschino's I Love Love (by the way, I'm not in love love with this one), I know Nanette Lepore and she's a sissy girl. I adore Prada.

I don't wear this stuff ~ much. I wear what I make, or something another natural perfumer has made. Nearly all my previous perfume experience was through Avon in the form of various Christmas gifts given me as a child (the bottles were fun), or tiny spritz's from one of my rich aunt's perfume vaporizers (I never learned the names of these perfumes, but I do know they were expensive as these ladies wore only the best), or the shoebox my grandmother kept at the bottom of her closet that held half full bottles of very vintage perfumes, names unknown.

And, of course, Jean Nate. Ugh.

The perfumes I remember most are those I 'made' myself ~ crushed geranium leaves on the wrist, gardenia flowers rubbed behind the ears. My favorite creations were those I made while living in the mountains. Manzanita berries, pine needles, sap, thyme, resin-rich cedar shavings and wild apple blossoms mushed together to make 'incense', which, by the way, never actually burned.

So, if I stumble and flub up on who makes what synthetic perfume, well, give me a bit of a break. I don't think it's necessary for me, or any other natural perfumer, to know which perfume house made what. It's not our gig.

Comments

Popular Posts