Caution: Perfumer Knows Less Than It Appears


I'll be the first to admit I know next to nothing when it comes to this gig. I'm learning something new and wonderful about this art form I've chosen to follow every single day. From peers, from books, from research -- from life! Today is a good day and I'm not feeling the dark cloud of the FDA hovering over my head or the fact that taxes are due (ugh!), or the bottles I wanted for the relaunch of The Scented Djinn are too costly, or that I feel more and more out of my element.

It's a good day because I love this job. I am uncomfortably happy with it.

Comments

  1. I'm curious, which books are you reading? I'm trying to learn a little more about perfume, more with the intention of becoming a consumer with an educated nose than a producer, but I'd still love to know what you consider required reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off the top of my head, and this is more for the consumer, not perfumer, I'd begin with 'The Perfume Guide' by Susan Irvine ~ flush with perfume photos, it pretty much guides you through the selection process, defines fragrance families and gives examples of the top selling or 'best' perfumes in each category. Also contains a helpful glossary of ingredients' terms. 'La Dolce Vita: Perfume' by New Holland Publishers ~ a little history of perfume, history and creation of famous perfumes, describes the differences between perfume, eau de toilette and eau de cologne. Little pocket book, really quick read, but interesting. To really dig in, I'd suggest 'The Art and Science of Scent: Perfume' by Cathy Newman ~ beautiful coffee table book with gorgeous photographs and lots of really great information pertaining to the creation of perfume ~ great book. Last, 'Perfume: Joy, Obsession, Scandal, Sin ~ A Cultural History of Fragrance from 1750 to the Present' ~ this book is really digging in. An enormous tome with beautiful photography and extensive perfume information. It covers poetry in perfume, perfume in everyday life, surrealism, fragrant narratives. That's about $100 worth of books. For a start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I had the last book on my wish list already, and I've now added the others. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts