A Day In May

I realized I didn't update you on the A Day In May Celebration craft show thingamabobby that we did at the farm last Saturday. That's mostly because I wanted to put it out of my mind. It was awful and great at the same time. Awful because there was major road construction on the main road leading to the road to the farm which effectively blocked off 80%, if not more, of our potential customers, and included our one and only food vendor. I won't get into it, but that guy didn't show up because of the road construction despite a perfectly sound alternative being offered. Next, it got hot fast and a few of our vendors started out in the shade and by noon were sitting out exposed in the sweltering heat. So they packed up and sat with us in the shade for a bit before leaving early. We had customers, new faces, people who went out of their way and braved the twisty, convoluted route to the farm, who truly enjoyed their visit. The scheduled soap making demo never happened because there just weren't enough people at any one time to do one. I did toy with the idea of just making a batch of soap to have soap on hand, but I think I was too bummed out to do it then. Despite the poor turn out, everyone who did manage to make it out had a lovely time, they bought from the vendors and from the wee witchy shop at the farm, and promised, once the roadways were clear again, to return to another of our events. And we did have music. My son and his band mate, Brendan Kelley, showed up for an unplugged acoustic set which went off without a hitch, until Brendan's final song when he made me and a couple of other people cry. They took as their cue to bow out. My son, Daryl, said, "It's probably a good idea to leave once you make your audience cry." We probably won't have another 'fair' like this until the fall, but we are planning classes, demos, teas, moon events, and drum circles throughout the summer months.

I have not been idle these past few days. I did return to the farm and make that big batch of soap. And the same day, I took home a pail of peaches that were in peril of going bad, along with a big handful of freshly cut lavender flowers, and made lavender peach jelly out of them. The jelly turned out beautifully. I'm very pleased with it. A few jars may go on the Etsy site in a few days -- or not. I'm already brainstorming holiday gifts for family and friends.

I've much more to say, but right now my mind is scrambled. I've not been sleeping well and I'm on grandchild duty and have been for the past week. It's exhausting. I'm exhausted. And ticking off the days until I get into my new house and get my life back in some sort of order.

Comments

Popular Posts