Flowers, Perfumes & Unguents

Books are my other passion, especially old, old books. I think it has to do with the writing styles and the information they harbor, not to mention the gilding, and titles that have very little to do with what's typed on the pages.

The first old book I received as a gift was a collection of horror by Edgar Allen Poe. I got it when I was 8. Gave me nightmares, but also cultivated a deep desire to read everything I could get my hands on.

The newest addition to my growing collection is a first edition 'The Woman Beautiful', published in 1901. There are few books in the world that teach palm reading, perfumery, and includes instructions on how to 'grow the hair'. Amazing.

There are recipes within with names like 'Extract of Mignonette', and 'Rondeletia Odoratissima', which calls for 17 drachms of 'tincture of ambergris'.

Sweet Clover? It's here. Clove Pink? Got it.

Comments

Popular Posts