Notes From Heaven

Reading, music, reflection, study, experimentation, creation, and lots of caffeine (ha!) -- that's been my lot these last few weeks. This wouldn't be the first time I've pared down my ambitions and ended up with the lowest common denominator (from which I build up -- again). This time, though, I think I'll keep it simple. Simple speaks volumes -- quietly and powerfully. And, she says, tipping her capitalist's hat, simple sells.

I was reminded of this via a trip down memory lane. No, not the notebooks, but a website, archived and still brilliant after all this time. Simple. Quiet. But so powerful.

I also had the opportunity to flex my teacher's muscles when two young ladies dropped in for an impromptu lesson in perfume making. I gave them the loose outline tour of 'Fair and Foul' -- first smell the rose otto dilute, then sniff the hyraceum tincture. Back and forth between jasmine grandiflorum and valerian, ylang and cumin, patchouli and cheese tincture, until a picture began to form in their minds. It was exhilarating to watch the revelations bloom in their eyes.

"Wow!" One of the girls said, "I totally get how this works! You sort of can't have something really nice unless there's a little bit of something nasty in it."

I couldn't have said it any better.

Everything's coming up nines, too. Nine tries to get it right, the total is nine dollars even, wishing for eight and getting nine, the ninth song raising the hair on your arms. Nine. Triple Goddess number.

I have an unscented recommendation for you music lovers -- Nora Jones' 'Come Away With Me'. Spectacular sound a la Billie Holliday with a kiss of playfulness. Sweet, simple stuff.

Comments

Popular Posts