New Beginnings

I have a Roundup neighbor.

The house to the right of ours had been unsold and vacant since we moved in in August until about two weeks ago. The house is enormous with two master suites and 3 additional bedrooms, a large open concept living/kitchen area, and a formal dining room. The backyard is dinky, though, apartment sized. Yet the two people who moved in take turns with the Roundup sprayer shooting every square inch of their property, both the landscaped front and unlandscaped back, almost daily. I've never seen a weed phobia like this before. I can't use any of the rosemary planted on the right side of my driveway because of the Mr.'s Roundup, and I'm beginning to wonder how saturated the fence boards on that side of the backyard have become. I'm planting all of my vegetables and perfumery plants in raised beds with liners to avoid weeds, and I guess to some extent, Roundup now too. I may have to have a talk with them if they keep up with this poisoning business.

I hope and pray the neighbors on the left don't get chemical crazy. So far they seem to appreciate plants as they have a jungle of potted plants in their backyard. There is life in suburbia after all.

I'm setting up shop again in the new place. Today we begin mixing and formulating some really fantastic all natural mineral and botanical skincare. A package of organic cocoa butter arrived here yesterday and my new assistant proclaimed, as I walked in the door from being gone all day, "I don't know what's in that bag, but it smells just like chocolate!" It does indeed!

One problem I'm finding living in this new place is postal delivery. The neighborhood is so new, and so far out of the city limits that it doesn't have a regular post office delivery service but a contract delivery service. If what is being shipped to my house isn't a big box that won't fit in the box at the end of the block -- the big boxes get delivered to the door -- the contract worker will send them back to the post office marked return to sender if the mailbox parcel cubicle already has someone else's parcel in it. I've had three packages sent back because of this, so now I will be looking into getting a PO box, which, honestly, I should do anyway. I'm sure the contract worker is run ragged and probably isn't obligated to keep trying to re-deliver mail, but it's damned inconvenient not getting my stuff on time. Hence the delay in getting The Scented Djinn up and running again. Well, that and everything else that's been going on around here.

I count myself very fortunate despite these minor set-backs, because they are just that -- minor.





Comments

Popular Posts