Tuberose

Tuberose bud, Justine's garden, October 2017

I got another single flowering tuberose this year. Last year I got one that bloomed in a different pot than this one. They all grow, all the wee bulbs, but I'm not getting any flowering except for one at a time, two years in a row. So. They get their own bed now. Out of the pots, where my hope is they've multiplied, and into a permanent bed where they can be harvested in a year -- that is, if they all decide to bloom instead of taking turns like the polite little flowers they are. I clipped the single bloom last night and put it in water and set it on the kitchen counter. It has filled the kitchen and dining area with scent. Everyone keeps calling it 'honeysuckle', which kind of bugs, but what do they know? Perhaps tuberose is progressive and would link arms with honeysuckle in defense of all flowers. I'd rather think their hermit-like behavior is rooted in a strong sense of self and confidence rather than in flower class snobbery.

I just overheard someone here call them 'two bros'.

Comments

Popular Posts