Orange Blossom & Citrus

I ran out of orange blossom anything months ago. I had a big chunk of headily fragrant orange blossom concrete that I dumped into soap or something -- maybe part of the base of a solid perfume. I can't remember now, all I know is it's gone, and so are the dregs of absolute I'd been hoarding, and I've been Jonesing for orange blossom ever since. I finally broke down and got some because I've had this liquid soap project on the to-do list for ages, and nothing says luxurious bathing or handwashing quite like orange blossom and friends (grapefruit, mandarin, orange), and in the winter -- ah! Sublime beauty and decadence, yes? I also think that having first-hand experience with exotics like champaka and frangipani just hanging from street side trees may have taken the wheel and steered me on this -- orange blossoms are a standard scent in these parts during the spring months, from roughly March through May, the air is absolutely filled with their intoxicating aroma. Sweet orange, but orange blossom, nonetheless, so why not take advantage of a scent that is considered common around here? Common or no, it's freaking fantastic to catch a whiff of orange blossom on the air. Better yet to catch it in a bottle and use it in something -- a perfume or a butter or a soap. If I can, I'm going to try to add a wee drop or so of cilantro essential oil to this soap mix as well -- there's something about cilantro that just loves citrus, and, in fact, cilantro often smells orangey in high doses. Just ask the people who came into my house right after someone broke a 4.5 ml bottle of delicious cilantro on my kitchen floor. Across the board, every single one asked if it was a weird kind of orange. It made a fabulous floor wash scent.


Oh, my Buddha's hand citron tree has a single wee hand on it! Yippee!

Comments

  1. Cilantro smells like carrot & citrus to my nose. I would think its green tang would be a brilliant foil for lush & honey-buttered orange blossom.
    I never realized how much I associate orange blossoms with spring until I moved away from my native Clovis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Cilantro does have that carrot-like smell to it! And the orange. It's such a multi-faceted and under utilized oil in perfumery.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts