Fir

This year, the family managed to keep the Christmas tree alive so that I can distill it. I spent hours on the internet trying to identify the tree, and I had it narrowed down to Noble fir and Fraser fir. Ultimately it was determined to be a Fraser fir. The small branches hold a lot of resinous goo and the scent is gorgeously balsamic, fresh and green and cool, like walking through a high altitude forest in early spring as the dregs of snow spot the ground. It's that lush, cool dampness that dominates this scent.

Then I went on a hunt for Fraser fir essential oil, with somewhat sketchy luck. Most of the legitimate places looked to carry small artisan style distilled oils ranging in price from $25 to $32 USD per ounce, which isn't too bad. I'm distilling mine for practice and use in my perfumery, but my hope is that soon I can get a local-ish tree farm to give or sell me the tips when they're trimmed for sale as Christmas trees so that I have a lot of this to distill. I realize that since I was asked to speak in Brazil that I've kind of set everything else aside, concentrating on the presentation and the workshop and the trip in general. Now that it's done, I'm itching to get the still fired up, and also prep for spring (I know, it's early yet) when the hyacinths pop up.

There is also that boswellia neglecta resin that I've yet to distill. It looks like there's going to be some distilling going on here for the next few months. I'm also seriously considering opening my home to perfume classes -- finally. It's something I've dreamed of doing since I started on this journey in natural perfumery, but only now seems doable. There is time and space and the head is in a good place too.

The holidays seemed less stressful than they have in the past. I'm going for quality rather than quantity and perfection and control, a break for me. Excuse me while I play Jenga with one of the Grands.

Until next time.

Comments

Popular Posts