How Sweet It Is

Got back into the making of the perfume smellin' stuff. Began a tincture of ambrette seeds. Also started one with oakmoss. Seriously considering tincturing up a sack of mixed herbs sent to me by a friend ~ this stuff smells stunning! It's a bag of rose petals, lavender flowers, orris root, oakmoss, cinnamon, cloves and anise. A lush, floral chypre that I hope will transfer well into alcohol. Then I'll have to hit up my friend again, eh?

Well, as you can see, my work space is a mess. Ah, that's how it is, no?

Started reading Rimmel again after reading (and re-reading, and wrinkling and reading again) the SF Chronicle article on Laurie Stern, parfumeur extraordinnaire. I haven't tried any of her juice, but I have it on the highest authority that Laurie is one of those rare, real artists ~ the direct quote from aforementioned authority reads: "It's not all about that other stuff, there are some folks who truly do it for the love & art, & you'll get reinspired." Just knowing there are people like this existing in this artform makes me feel inspired.

Anyway, back to Rimmel. Great book. Fast read. Kind of fun to work through the archaic English. Reminds me of BBC portrayals of all the Jane Austen stories. Y'know, the ones where you're sitting on the sofa with a smile on your face and tears in your eyes and everyone else in the room is asking, "What'd he say? I don't get it." And then rolling their eyes because you do. Ha!

Revisited a perfume balm called Amulette. Gawd. I don't know what it is about that scent, but I just can't seem to get enough. I want to wash my laundry with it so it infuses everything! I'd give you the link for this perfume, but the site is under construction and all 'fumes have been pulled.

Le Parfumeur Rebelle, a nifty little website for perfumers of every shade, is running a contest. Go check it out.


Comments

Popular Posts