Distillation, Co-Distillation & Possibilities

Thanks to my friend Shannon allowing me free range in her botanical garden, I've distilled lavandin for the first time. And now white sage. And in a few hours, English lavender. And in a few weeks, once it's dried and reaches the desired aromatic level, sweet grass. In the meantime, I've been entertaining myself with other distillation projects; a co-distillation of lime and kombu sea kelp, to name one. And the roster for "what's next" is quickly filling up. Co-distillations intrigue me at the moment. Imagine a lovely winter room spray made with pure water, orange and mandarin peels and a pinch of cinnamon stick. Clean, fresh, non-toxic, non-olfactorily invasive. The white sage hydro can be used as a body spray, but it's 'calling' is in spiritual cleansing, so marketing it as a room or space purifier for spiritual work is a possibility, especially helpful to those who cannot tolerate the smoke from smudging or burning incense. I can't even begin to tell you how spectacular the white sage hydro smells. And the oil yield is amazing. I cannot wait to get to Shannon's again to pluck more fat, fragrant leaves for the pot. So what can't I distill? Well, dead cats, for one; fig leaves, tomato leaves, peanut butter and gold. But I can distill heirloom tomatoes with basil, black figs, clay, sugar, salt, honey, valerian, catnip, chamomile, spearmint, mugwort, amber resin, green tea, black tea, rose petals, chai, pine cones, cedar bark, rosemary -- and even patchouli leaf.

Comments

Popular Posts