The Slush of Alcoholic Distillations


So I was anticipating siphoning off about a milliliter or two of the co-blend of gardenia tincture and fresh lemons from the distillate after a stint in the freezer to separate the hydro from the oil, but I forgot to factor in the alcohol effect. As in, alcohol don't freeze. What I ended up with after 12 hours in the freezer was a super smelly semi-solid slush. I guess if you order some you'll have to deal with the free floating balls of oil in the hydro-alcoholic mix -- oh, and yes, the bit o' alcohol as well. Organic grain alcohol isn't the same as isopropyl alcohol. It doesn't dry you up like a prune and suck out all your internal juices. This saucy little experiment would be more like a simple summer scent; light, delicate, daintily walking on its tippy toes. I think you're going to like it.

*Update: I thought about it, thought about it, thought about it . . . thought a little more and decided NOT to distill this again to separate the alcoholic portion from the hydrosol. When I performed the second distillation, I got about 3/4 of a cup of super clear fluid (alcohol, perhaps?) with huge drops of oil floating on top, during the first hour of distillation. However, the longer the juice stewed, the more cloudy the results. So, what happens when you put too much water in the alcohol? It fogs. But again, as much as I'm fighting the urge to do further experimentation on this hydroalcoholic batch, I won't. What you see is what you get, mmm hmm!

Comments

Popular Posts