Downsizing


I really don't like that word because it usually means someone gets to lose a job, but that's not the case here. I've cut off service to my website, www.thescenteddjinn.com. I still own the domain name, but I don't have a website anymore. It wasn't working out the way I wanted it to -- I didn't like how it looked, how it functioned, and I got crap support from my web hosting company, so I trash canned it. I'm all about Etsy right now. And it's working pretty well. I did have a NBP'er tell me once that I'd never "make it" with mainstream customers if all I had was Etsy as an outlet. I guess I don't care. There's nothing mainstream about me, so . . .

I will rebuild the site later, when I can get better support and a real site builder on board. 'Til then, order my stuff on Etsy, yeah?

Comments

  1. I hope that wasn't me told you Etsy isn't a good outlet! It slices, dices, makes mounds of julienne fries, and it does it inexpensively, compared with paying for a decent webhost and webmaster or webmistress.

    Something Etsy has done, which is absolutely vital for what us little people do, is add uniformity and organization to our offerings. There's no template to eff up, there's no room for 404 error codes and links to nowhere, etc.

    The one thing I don't like about it is that one is competing right there with one's peer group. Can't have it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it was someone else, and it was in reference to Sniffapalooza taking notice.

    Etsy's been good to me, and yeah, I am lumped in with a lot of other people selling similar things, but that's ok. When I compare the traffic and money coming in, the Etsy outlet wins hands down. But I do have hope for the future of building a really spectacular website . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. *grumble*

    Back when I was doing an informal survey of 'where did you hear about Mandrake?' not a single customer came over from Sniffapalooza. Of course, I've probably not been listed there for some time.

    I have plans for my site, too. And I bit the bullet and am moving away from Blogger for my blogs, too. I have so many plans and need to add to the list of things to do, 1. clone myself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts