Day 62 ~ One Year, One Nose

Tagette (tagetes minuta)


I have a big bottle of Tagette. I've kept it stored in the mini-fridge because -- well, I don't know for certain why. To preserve it, I suppose. I was first introduced to the scent of Tagette when given a bar of soap from a soapmaker friend several years ago. It was a copy of sorts of the soap from Woodspirits called "Sun & Moon" wherein half of the soap was a deep cobalt blue, and the other half a bright cheery yellow. I just remember being completely in love with the bright cheery yellow half and discovering from the soapmaker friend that it was partially scented with Tagette oil.

Tagette oil is, unfortunately, photosensitizing and can cause dermal allergic reactions in some people. But since it is such a strongly scented oil, a dilution in, say, a soap blend would probably be the safest way to use it dermally. It has also been used as an insect repellent, and the leaves are used for culinary purposes.

Tagettes smells of marigold, but more specifically the combined scents of citrus rinds, sunshine, Italian basil, tarragon, and a metallic chewiness, not quite like mint, but that's the closest approximation I can think of. Or perhaps just a wicked hot, slightly minty basil.  Tagette smells of sunshine and shaded air, a yin and yang of warm and cool.

I'm waiting for someone to make a Tagette incense because I've not been able to find any online or anywhere else. Incensemakers, get crackin'. 


*The photos do not depict Tagette, they're just pretty sunny flowers in the garden. And an aphid.

Comments

Popular Posts