To the Sea

I'm on a train to the coast this weekend for a bit of R & R from the heat and stagnation that is my hometown. I just hope I don't come home to a flipped upside down house! It happens when leaving youngsters to hold down the fort.

I keep thinking about kelp. Kelp horns, kelp lampshades, kelp lamps, kelp table legs, kelp -- well, you understand what I'm trying to say here. 4th of July I was in Cayucos for the parade and there was an entire band of kelp horn players, and it didn't sound half bad. It got me thinking about other things dried kelp could be used for. Primitive art vessels for kyphi? Wild snaky alien-like light fixtures? I can't carry the wet kelp back with me on the train, but I can leave them with relatives there and hope some animal doesn't drag off my 'art' before I return.

The musk accord was tweaked a bit after yesterday's update. Like I said, it didn't feel furry enough, not animalic enough, and I played around a bit until I felt I'd hit the right combination to bring that element to the fore. I even considered adding a teensy bit of butter CO2 but decided at the last minute not to. I may go back and draw up some of the musk accord and test the butter CO2 in a smaller trial. I'm like a dog with a bone when I get one of these trial thoughts in my head -- they niggle and niggle until I have to do something about them. 

Come Monday, I'm back at the culinary bench, formulating a few luscious aromatic treats, which unfortunately I can't tell you more about because it's kind of a secret. I will tell you about the experiments in a couple of weeks. Promise.

Happy Weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts