Pu-Erh & Dooky

The latest incense batch is turning out much better than anticipated. I was going for a Russian Caravan Tea-like feel and I got it. The floral notes are subtle, and the raunchy dark, mossy, damp, slightly fecal tea note (think pu-erh tea with a dash of caca) is dancing around those florals, taunting them with its bum out. Despite my many years of practicing over and over until my brain hurts, I'm always amazed when the work turns out exactly as envisioned. 


The smokiness of Russian Caravan Incense is intense, as is the deep, dark tea note. What prevents this incense from being a fat, burnt poop mess are those beautiful florals -- jasmine sambac, rosa damascene, lavender Seville -- they smooth it out and sweeten it up. 

It reminds me of a smell a friend described to me years ago of a sweaty Sumo wrestler pooping on a burning tire. It's close to that, but the Sumo wrestler has a bouquet of roses and lavender in his Mawashi. 

Comments

Popular Posts