Herbs


I've lately been intrigued by the fresh, lively scent of green herbs like cilantro, basil, mint and, though not technically an herb, rose geranium. Cilantro in particular imparts a fresh, crisp foodie layer over darker, deeper scents like patchouli and sandalwood. Cilantro with tobacco is mouth-watering, as I discovered by accident whilst digging in the back of the aromatic treasures cabinet. I was working with cilantro, building a solid version of Khamsa (eau fraiche, though that moniker hardly applies now that it's a solid -- Khamsa Drool-Down-The-Front-of-Your-Shirt Extrait is more like it), when I brushed against an old bottle of tobacco absolute, getting a little leaked absolute on the tip of my finger. The scent wafting around me was intoxicating. Then, just to see if this light/dark, opposites attract phenomenon reached toward other dark essences, I did a back and forth waft between cilantro and oakmoss. Again, that mouth-watering effect. So now I know that cilantro is a perfect host to patchouli, the darker and older the better, sandalwood, oakmoss and tobacco. Basil loves cocoa, and light vetyvers; mint, in small doses, loves just about everyone, much like rose g. I'm sure I'll tire of the greens in a few weeks or months, but in the meantime, I will take advantage of the inspiration.

Comments

Popular Posts